Even if you’ve never considered hiring a personal shopper to do the groceries for you before, now might be the time that you’re looking for help with this important service.
According to volunteer organization GroceryHero, “Not all heroes wear capes. Some push shopping carts!” We’re all grateful to everyone working to keep us safe at this time, including our local grocery store staff and the helpful folks who continue to deliver our food!
Keep in mind that most online grocery services are experiencing an unusually high volume of delivery requests, so you may have to wait longer than normal for an available delivery time. For your safety and convenience, here’s our top picks for grocery delivery services that operate across Ontario.
Instacart allows you to order from a number of large chain stores and smaller local specialty shops which vary depending on your location. Some stores may only offer pickup services for your orders, but you can fill your virtual cart with deliverable items from many of your favourite and most frequented retailers like:
- Real Canadian Superstore
- Shoppers Drug Mart
- M&M Food Market
- Minimum purchase of $10.
- Delivery price varies depending on how much you order and your delivery time.
- Option to choose a range of delivery times between 1 hour to 6 days after placing your order.
- The shopper preparing your order can contact you if items are out of stock so you can discuss alternative options.
Instacart Express membership offers discounted delivery fees. For $99.99 a year, you can receive free delivery on orders over $35. This makes Instacart one of your most affordable options if you’re looking for a long-term grocery delivery solution.
Grocery Gateway let’s residents of the GTA, Cambridge, Waterloo, Guelph, and Hamilton shop for online grocery deliveries from Longo’s. You can also add beverages from LCBO to your order—so this service is great if you’re looking for an extra special dining-in experience.
- Minimum purchase of $50.
- Once you reserve a time, you have a 90-minute window to complete your order.
- Order by 6pm to get your order delivered the next morning.
- Order by 11pm for afternoon delivery the next day.
- Pre-paid same day delivery is available in some regions.
- A standard order delivery fee is $9.99, same-day deliveries subject to a $19 fee.
The auto-reordering and pre-selected product bundles make it even easier to restock your kitchen with regular Grocery Gateway deliveries.
Costco offers delivery services for many members and non-members across the country. Non-Costco members can make purchases through Costco.ca, while members can combine their Costco.ca purchases with the 2-day delivery service for members only. However, like the other services outlined on this list, Costco’s delivery turn-around has been affected by recent events. Check Costco’s website for current delivery time updates.
- No minimum purchase requirement.
- Delivery surcharge waived for orders over $75.
- 2-Day delivery is only available for Costco members.
- Prices might be higher for non-members in addition to a 5% surcharge.
- Delivery isn’t available on weekends.
If you’re a regular Costco member, you can expect the same perks you would normally receive with your in-store purchases, like 2% annual rewards for Executive Members and 1% cashback when you pay with CapitalOne or Mastercard.
Walmart’s grocery delivery service is another great option for conveniently securing your groceries, personal care items and household supplies online.
- $50 minimum purchase requirement.
- $9.97 delivery fee.
- You have 90 minutes to order after you’ve booked a delivery time slot.
- Login to your Walmart account to add new items to your cart anytime before you schedule your delivery.
- You can make changes to your order until 10:30pm the day before your scheduled delivery window.
- Track your order history and use it to tweak previous orders for your next delivery.
Second only to Instacart when it comes to affordability, Walmart stays true to its promise to save you money.
Metro Online Grocery
Metro Online Grocery delivery isn’t available in as many areas as the services mentioned above. You’re more likely to be eligible for delivery if you live in a large urban area, but a location near you may offer in-store pickup.
- $11.99 delivery fee.
- Minimum purchase of $50.
- Same-day delivery may be available depending on your location.
- You can reserve your delivery time slot for 2 hours while you shop.
- Tri-ZonesTM delivery vans ensure your food stays at the right temperature whether it needs to be kept frozen or warm.
- Cancel orders by 11:59 pm the day before your scheduled delivery or pickup date.
- Same-day orders should be cancelled by 1pm.
Once you’ve booked your delivery, you can apply electronic coupons to your order and take advantage of the same deals offered in Metro’s flyers.
We hope you’ve found the right grocery delivery service to help you fill your food delivery needs. Fortunately, there are plenty of options to choose from, so you can get your favourite comfort foods delivered to your doorstep, pull out your favourite recipes, and pass the time by cooking some delicious homemade meals.